Healthy Habits Healthy You
Healthy Habits Healthy You is a diabetes and heart disease prevention program.
Take steps to prevent diabetes and heart disease by making healthy food choices, losing a small amount of weight and moving more every day. Find ways to keep calm during your day to lower your stress.
Download your copy of "Healthy Habits Healthy You: A Diabetes and Heart Disease Prevention Program" to learn more about this program.
Make Healthy Food Choices
- Make half of your plate vegetables and fruits.
- Choose 100% whole grains like whole wheat bread, oats and brown rice.
- Cut back on high-fat foods like whole milk, cheeses, and fried foods.
- Try grilled chicken or salads at fast food restaurants instead of a cheeseburger or pizza.
- Select from a collection of healthy recipes.
- Learn more about healthy eating from the “Eating for Life” program.
Manage Your Weight
- Put less food on your plate.
- Try not to skip meals.
- Use a smaller plate, bowl, and glass.
- Read the food labels on packages.
- Visit www.ChooseMyPlate.gov to create a daily meal plan.
- Try to be active for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Up to 60 to 90 minutes daily may be needed for weight loss.
- Walk in a safe place like the mall or at community centers.
- Dance and turn up the music when doing household chores.
- March in place while you watch TV.
- Request the “WalkAbout with Healthy Edge” program and exercise DVDs.
Cut Back on Foods High in Sugar, Fat, and Salt
- Drink water instead of juice, sweet tea or regular soda.
- Cut back on candy, pastries, and desserts
- Keep a healthy snack with you, like fresh fruit, a handful of nuts, or whole grain crackers.
- Choose lean meats and poultry without skin, and cook by grilling, baking or broiling.
- Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg).
- Use oils to replace shortening and butter.
- Season with onion, garlic, peppers, fresh herbs instead of salt, bacon or cured meats.
Find Ways to Relax and Get More Sleep
- Try deep breathing, taking a walk, or listening to your favorite music.
- Aim for 7 to 9 hours of sleep daily. Avoid caffeine, nicotine or alcohol several hours before going to sleep.
- Think before you eat. Try not to snack when you are bored, upset, or unhappy.
- Avoid tobacco use.
- Request Guided Meditation and Tobacco Cessation programs.
This information is intended for individuals who are 18 years and older only and those living in the Sentara/Optima Health service areas.