Eating for Life
Designed by a registered dietitian nutritionist, Eating for Life gives you the knowledge and skills to eat the right amount and right variety of foods to promote good health.
Eating for Life Toolkit:
The contents of this toolkit can assist members to improve current eating and exercise habits.
This information is intended for individuals who are 18 years and older only and those living in the Sentara/Optima Health service areas.
Keeping Your Child at a Healthy Weight
Tip: If a weight loss program is necessary, involve the whole family in healthy habits so your child doesn't feel singled out.
To help your child maintain a healthy weight, balance the calories your child gets from foods and beverages with the calories your child burns through physical activity and normal growth.You can encourage healthy eating by serving healthy options – offer more fruits and vegetables and fewer sodas and high-calorie, high-fat snack foods. Physical activity can also help your child overcome obesity or being overweight. Kids need about 60 minutes each day.
- Tips for Parents - from the CDC on helping your child maintain a healthy weight.
- Healthy Weight for Children - Learn about your child's growth pattern. Children grow at different rates, so it isn't always easy to know when a child is obese or overweight.
- Online Pediatric BMI Calculator - Measure your child's height and weight to determine if he or she is in a healthy range. Use this calculator for children and teens, aged 2 through 19 years old.
- Health Coaching – Optima Health provides support to help keep families healthy. Call the Member Services phone number on your Optima Health card for more information.
For Kids Only
- MyPlate Kids’ Place - Games, activities and healthy eating tips just for kids
- Girls Health - Interactive health activities for girls
Calculate Your Body Mass Index
Use this interactive tool calculates your body mass index, which will help you to determine if you’re overweight. If you are, this tool will help you to take positive action.