As an enrolled Medicaid member, your household may qualify for a free smartphone via the Lifeline Support for Affordable Communications program which is administered by the Federal Communications Commission.
With a phone supplied by an Optima Health partner you can receive:
- Free smartphone
- Included monthly minutes and data
- Unlimited texting
- Free calls to or from Optima Health Member Services*1
*1Calls must be made to one of the listed numbers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Assurance Wireless?
Optima Health has partnered with Assurance Wireless, a federal Lifeline Assistance program supported by the federal Universal Service Fund. Assurance provides free Smartphones and lifeline cell service to qualified members. This is not a benefit managed or provided by Optima Health.
Is Assurance Wireless available in my area?
Visit the Assurance Wireless website and enter your zip code to check if service is available in your area. Offers vary by state.
To view network coverage, Assurance Wireless provides street level maps online.
What is included with Assurance Wireless Lifeline Services?
- 2GB FREE Data, UNLIMITED FREE texts and 350 FREE Voice Minutes added automatically each month.
- No Annual Contract
- Nationwide Sprint® Network Coverage
- Voicemail Account, Call Waiting, and Caller ID
- 911 Access
- FREE Unlimited Calling to 211
- Calls to Customer Care are FREE
- Low International Rates to over 200 Countries
How much does Assurance Wireless Lifeline Service cost?
Assurance Wireless Lifeline service is free to qualified consumers. Additional voice minutes, data, international calling and international texting are available for an additional fee. For more information, go to the “Adding Services to Your Account” section.
How do I qualify for Assurance Wireless Lifeline service?
Enrollment in this government benefit program is available to individuals who qualify based on federal or state-specific eligibility criteria. You may qualify for Assurance Wireless if you participate in any of the following government programs
- Food Stamps/SNAP
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension benefit or Survivors Pension
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
How do I apply for Assurance Wireless Lifeline service?
- Apply online here.
- For a physical application, please call Customer Care at 1-888-898-4888 and one will be mailed to you.
- Call Customer Care at 1-888-898-4888.
- Speak to a representative in your neighborhood. The representative will help you apply. Along with proof of eligibility, you will be required to provide proof of address and identity to qualify for a free Assurance Wireless phone. Once the representative receives confirmation that you are approved for Lifeline service, you will be provided with a free phone. The representative will help you activate it.
What documents do I need to submit?
- Your benefit ID card or other program participation document (You must provide a copy of the Front and the Back of any benefit ID cards submitted. Note: SNAP cards without names will not be accepted).
- An eligibility letter from an authorized agency
- A benefits statement (current or prior year)
If you are applying based on Income you’ll need:
- A copy of ONE of these documents:
- Prior year’s State or Federal income tax return
- Current income statement from employer
- Federal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Divorce decree or child support document containing income
A copy of three consecutive months of ONE of these statements (from the previous 12 months):
- Current paycheck stub
- Social Security benefits statement
- Veterans Administration benefits statement
- Retirement/Pension benefits statement
- Unemployment or Workers’ Compensation benefits statement
Are there any restrictions for the Assurance Wireless Lifeline service?
- Assurance Wireless is only available to individuals who participate in a qualifying government program or are income eligible.
- Only one wireless or wireline Lifeline account is allowed per household and service is non- transferable.
- Separate households that live at the same address are eligible, including residents of homeless shelters and nursing homes. Residents with temporary addresses are also eligible.
- The address you provide for your phone service must be your place of residence, whether permanent or temporary.
What should I do if I no longer qualify for Assurance Wireless Lifeline service?
Inform Assurance Wireless immediately upon learning that you no longer qualify for Lifeline service from Assurance Wireless and they will discontinue your Assurance Wireless Lifeline service.
If I am approved, can I keep my current phone number?
Yes, if you are approved, you can keep your current phone number.
Once you receive your Assurance Wireless phone, you can contact Customer Care at 1-888-321-5880 and a representative will help you keep your current number. Just call from a different phone and have your account number and password from your previous carrier handy.
Does Assurance Wireless offer any special services for customers with disabilities?
Yes. Assurance Wireless offers Directory Assistance calls on a complimentary basis to blind, visually impaired and other customers with qualifying disabilities.
To apply for this program, please contact Sprint Accessibility Care at 1-855-885-7568. An application form will be sent to you. Please have a qualified medical professional complete the application form and return to fax number 1-877-877-3291 or mail via US Mail to:
Assurance Wireless/Sprint Accessibility Care
P.O. Box 29230
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201
Please allow three (3) business days to process the request AFTER Assurance Wireless receives the request.