FAMIS (Family Access to Medical Insurance Security) is Virginia’s health insurance program for children and pregnant women. There are several types. FAMIS and FAMIS Plus is health insurance for children. FAMIS MOMS is health insurance for pregnant women.
Income Eligibility for FAMIS Programs
View the eligibility income chart on the Cover Virginia website. The income limits for FAMIS are higher than the Medicaid income limits.
FAMIS and FAMIS Plus
You pay no enrollment costs and no monthly premiums for FAMIS or FAMIS Plus. When you apply for coverage, your children are considered for both the FAMIS and FAMIS Plus programs.
FAMIS provides access to quality health insurance for children with no health insurance. There is no cost to enroll and nothing to pay each month. There are no copays for covered services.
FAMIS Plus is Virginia’s name for Children’s Medicaid. It covers children in families with low or no income, even if the children are covered by health insurance.
What is covered?
Services covered include:
- doctor visits
- well baby checkups
- well child checkups
- prescription medicine
- tests and X-rays
- dental care
- vision care
- mental health care
- emergency care
- hospital visits
Who is eligible?
Your children may be eligible if they:
- live in Virginia
- are under age 19
- are United States citizens or immigrants with documented status
- and live in families meeting FAMIS income guidelines
Also, to be eligible for FAMIS, children cannot be eligible for FAMIS Plus.
Check your child’s eligibility by using Cover Virginia’s online screening tool.
Good health care during pregnancy is important for you and your baby. FAMIS MOMS encourages pregnant women to get early and regular prenatal care to increase the likelihood for a healthy birth.
What is covered?
You receive comprehensive health care benefits during your pregnancy and for two months following your baby’s birth. You pay no enrollment fees and no monthly premiums. There are no co-pays for pregnancy related services.
Once your FAMIS eligibility period is over, you will be checked to see if you are eligible for any other medical assistance. You also receive dental benefits administered through the Smiles for Children program. If you decide to breastfeed, your coverage includes breast pumps and breastfeeding support that starts during pregnancy and continues after your baby is born.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible if you:
- are a resident of Virginia
- are currently pregnant or within the 60 day period after your pregnancy ends
- are a United States citizen or an immigrant with documented status
- meet family income guidelines
Check your eligibility by using Cover Virginia’s online Screening Tool. If you are not eligible for FAMIS MOMS, you may still be eligible for Medicaid for Pregnant Women.
Applying for FAMIS Programs
You can choose from several methods to apply:
- Phone: Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590). You can reach them on Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. or on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Online: Apply at Virginia Common Help.
- Mail: Print a paper application in English or Spanish from coverva.org/apply. Mail or drop it off at your local Department of Social Services.
For more information about FAMIS, contact Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590), or visit coverva.org.