Overview of Optima EAP
Optima EAP is here to help you! Challenges and concerns are a normal part of life. We all face them and we all handle some challenges better than others. However, when you need help, Optima EAP is available to assist you.
- Do you need to talk? We provide short-term, solution-focused counseling.
- No cost to you! The benefit is paid for by your employer and is provided to you and the members of your household at no cost.
Counseling sessions are confidential.
- The information you share with Optima EAP professionals is protected by state and federal privacy laws.
- Counseling services provided by Optima EAP fall under the guidelines of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) which means that we can not disclose any identifying information about who uses the benefit without written consent from that individual.
You can feel comfortable and confident getting assistance knowing that services will not create a financial hardship for you and that the information shared with Optima EAP is protected under state and federal privacy laws. Complete confidentiality is a cornerstone
Optima EAP provides short-term, solution-focused counseling led by caring, compassionate and skilled counselors.
- The number of counseling sessions is determined by the benefit selected by your employer.
- Inquire with your manager, Human Resources Department, or call the EAP office for clarity on your organization’s counseling benefit.
- If additional services are needed, beyond the scope of your EAP benefit, we will assist you with referrals to use your mental health benefit or provide recommendations for reputable community-based resources.
- Please note: EAP sessions are not intended to be “free sessions” towards the employee’s behavioral health benefit.
You may also visit The Resource Center portion of this website for details about classes, tools, and articles on a wide variety of topics, including emotional concerns, mental health treatment, workplace issues, and inspirational pieces. If you do not know your company’s username, please contact your Human Resources Department, or call the EAP office and will be happy to provide it to you. Please check it out!
If your company has purchased Optima EAP for its employees, you may utilize the EAP benefit if you are a:
- full-time or part-time employee.
- dependent or household member of an employee. Note: Dependents and household members may utilize Optima EAP counseling services independent of the employee.
- displaced employee. Note: EAP services must be accessed no later than 30 days following the actual employment end date.
Please note, if you are currently in care with a behavioral health provider for the same issues you are interested in contacting the EAP about, your eligibility to use the EAP benefit may be subject to clinical review and/or authorization by a member of the EAP clinical team. Please note: EAP sessions are not intended to be “free sessions” towards the employee’s behavioral health benefit.
Areas of Assistance
Optima EAP is a valuable resource for helping you deal with a wide variety of issues and topics. Some reasons people come to the EAP include:
- Alcohol Dependency
- Drug Dependency
- Prescription Drug Abuse
- Co-dependency and concerns for family members
Family and Relationship Problems
- Marital problems
- Communication issues
- Parenting concerns and parent-child conflict
- Adjustment to separation and divorce
- Single parenting concerns
- Blended families
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Caring for an aging parent
Personal and Emotional Problems
- Depression, suicidal thoughts
- Grief and loss Work and Life Issues
- Job-related stress
- Adjusting to job changes
- Financial problems
- Legal problems
- Communication problems
- Balancing work and family demands
How to Schedule an Appointment
Our members find that making an appointment is easy.
- Call Optima EAP at 1-800-899-8174 or 757-363-6777 and one of our representatives will locate a counselor near your home or work and help to schedule an appointment that is convenient for you.
- Representatives are available to schedule appointments from 8:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m., Monday – Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, please contact our office so that we may make that appointment available for another client.
- Remember that Optima EAP services are provided at no cost to you – or your household members – and are confidential.
- If you have already secured a Virtual Counseling session, please complete the online Virtual Intake Form.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is EAP?
n Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a work-sponsored resource designed to help individuals address difficulties that impact their overall satisfaction and effectiveness and, if left unaddressed, may interfere with their ability to perform on the job. EAP offers individuals support on a variety of personal and professional challenges.
Is EAP a part of my medical insurance benefit?
No, the EAP benefit is separate from your employer’s medical insurance plan.
Will there be any Copayments or costs to me?
The EAP benefit is paid by your employer and, therefore, you are not required to pay any Copayments or deductibles to use the service.
What services are provided by EAP?
EAP offers short-term,
solutions-focusedcounseling to assist you with issues and concerns. In addition to counseling services, Optima EAP provides a host of health and wellness information on this website, as well as communication pieces such as inspirational Thoughts of the Week and monthly information bulletins that are emailed directly to your organization. (Contact your manager or Human Resources Department for receipt of Optima EAP communications.)
Will it really help to talk
withsomeone about my problems?
Often it is helpful to speak with a trained professional who can offer objectivity to your concerns. A counselor may present a different perspective of the problem and offer suggestions or interventions that you have not already considered. Optima EAP focuses on helping you to find a solution to your problem so, in essence, you have a partner when dealing with life’s challenges.
How can I feel comfortable talking
witha stranger about my problems?
EAP counselors are trained professionals, skilled with putting clients at ease when discussing difficult and sensitive issues. All Optima EAP counselors are licensed, Masters- or Doctoral-level clinicians or certified counselors.
I have always been able to solve my problems on my own, so why can’t I this time?
Some life issues are more overwhelming than others and even individuals who have always had good coping skills may one day find themselves facing something that challenges them. That’s why it is beneficial to have a resource like EAP – if and when you need it.
Can EAP provide help to someone in my family?
EAP services extend to members of the employee’s household. Just as the employee does, household members access EAP services at no charge.
Since my employer offers the EAP benefit, is it confidential for me to use?
Yes, information that individuals share with EAP is protected under state and federal privacy laws. EAP counselors are mandated by law to protect confidentiality except in situations where they have a legal duty to make a report, such as when an individual is a danger to him/herself or others, when there is an allegation of child abuse, or when directed by court order. Additionally, you are not required to notify your employer that you are using EAP services and no documentation is submitted to your employer when you contact us.
How do I access the EAP benefit?
You can access Optima EAP by calling 1-800-899-8174 or 757-363-6777. Our phones are personally staffed and answered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
What can I expect when I call the EAP office?
Our friendly and helpful EAP coordinators will ask for basic demographic information, such as your name and the name of the organization for which you work. They will then assist you with scheduling an appointment at a time and office location that is convenient.
What does a counseling session involve?
When you first arrive, you will be asked to complete some basic paperwork and a health questionnaire. You will then meet with the counselor who will assess your situation and help develop solutions to your problem. Each counseling session typically lasts about 45 minutes.
How many counseling sessions are available to me?
The number of counseling sessions is determined by the benefit selected by your employer. Inquire with your manager, Human Resources Department, or call the EAP office for clarity on your organization’s counseling benefit.