Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period
In 2019, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) introduced a new enrollment period that applies to Medicare Advantage beneficiaries.
The Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period runs from January 1 through March 31 and gives a beneficiary the opportunity to make a change to their coverage without waiting for the next Annual Enrollment Period. A Medicare Advantage beneficiary can switch back to Original Medicare and enroll in a Part D plan, if needed, or can switch to another Medicare Advantage plan. Only one enrollment change is allowed during the three-month window.
Beneficiaries have a one-time chance to:
- Switch to a different Medicare Advantage plan.
- Drop a Medicare Advantage plan and return to Original Medicare (Part A and Part B).
- Sign up for a Part D Prescription Drug plan (if returning to Original Medicare).
What a beneficiary can't do:
- Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan.
- Join or switch a Part D Prescription Drug plan if in Original Medicare.
What does this mean for your clients?:
- A member can still switch from one Optima Medicare plan to another Optima Medicare plan.
- A member from another Medicare Advantage carrier can still enroll in Optima Medicare.
The Open Enrollment Period gives Brokers a way to help clients make last minute changes to their Medicare Advantage coverage, but there are important CMS guidelines to meet.
- Still market for enrollments for Special Enrollment Period eligibility such as to those eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid and Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) beneficiaries.
- Market to beneficiaries aging-in to Medicare who have not made a decision.
- Conduct one-on-one meetings when the beneficiary makes a request.
- Provide information to a new client about Open Enrollment Period upon request by the beneficiary.
You may not:
- Send unsolicited information promoting the Open Enrollment Period to generate new sales.
- Knowingly target beneficiaries who are in Open Enrollment Period.
- Engage in or promote enrollment activities to use Open Enrollment Period to make new sales.
- Contact former beneficiaries who selected a new plan during the Annual Enrollment Period and use Open Enrollment Period as a method to win-back sales.
Questions? Contact the Optima Medicare Sales Team: